Venues (work in progress)
St Mary's Church is our "home" venue. It was here in 1980 that the English Arts Chorale was founded, performing initially as the St Mary's Chorus, now known initially as the EAC.
St Mary’s is a fine example of a traditional English parish church, retaining a strong sense of continuity with the past and many historic features while offering modern seating and facilities. For concerts we perform at the head of the spacious nave, while for singing days we often use the more intimate chancel.
"Nicholson & Co., of Malvern, have undertaken a complete restoration of the 1911 Norman & Beard organ.
The action is being converted from pneumatic to electro-pneumatic throughout. The existing en fenêtre console is being restored without alteration to its playing aids or period appearance. A new mobile console of modern Nicholson & Co. design, with a full complement of modern playing aids, will be added.
In the 1960s, Hill, Norman & Beard replaced a Vox Humana on the Swell Organ with a Larigot 11/3‘, and replaced a Cor Anglais on the Choir Organ with a Block Flute 2’. The Larigot has been discarded, and a second-hand 1910 Norman & Beard Vox Humana has been restored to be installed in its place. The Block Flute was found to complement the tonal scheme so is being retained."Click here for a complete spec ►
The Chorale has performed at St John’s regularly over the last ten years. It is one of the oldest Cambridge colleges. Since the 1670s its resident choir has provided cathedral-quality music for daily services and is now world-renowned through recordings, broadcasts and tours. The “new chapel” was designed and built in the 1860s in the architectural style of Gothic revival.
We have used St Mark's Church and its Hall frequently for rehearsals and singing days.
Alma Road, Reigate RH2 0DA
There is a small slope from the pavement up to the main door, on the north side of the church.